Sunday, January 8, 2012

More Veg Talk

Tomato 'Losetto' resistant to late-blight.
Just had this published in The Daily Telegraph. And its about more than tomatoes - but the whole business of breeding new veg varieties, and my pick of the most hopeful-looking ones for this season.

While we are on veg, re. the last posting here, I opened with a pic of kale Redbor, well we've just had some and I was puzzled by its very poor flavour, then i remembered that the wisdom of the old guys who used to dominate allotments "dun eat that til its ad the frost on it". We haven't hardly had any frost this year, so they must be right.

3 comments:

Nicole Gamble said...

I’ve learned a lot from your blog here! Keep on going, I will keep an eye on it.

HomeBugGardener said...

Great article. None of these varieties seem to be available from my primary seed source (which may not breed many new varieties, but does their own garden trials), but I suppose I can track down sources from the big companies.

Liked your book Hybrid too, by the way.

HomeBugGardener said...

Good article, but it makes me a bit melancholy that I haven't seen any of the varieties in my seed sources here in Canada. I suppose I can track down sources from the links though.

Liked your book Hybrid too.